Of Glucose Biscuits, and their Re-Discovery.

Never ever have I had so many Glucose biscuits after probably the first five years of my life... The days when my maavshis would hand me over a 'glucose cha puda' when I visited their house were long long over, or hardly ever in my life... I used to get that glucose pack when I was about to start from their house. I guess it used to be an incentive for me to leave early the next visit, me being so notoriously mastikhor in those days.

I never had any particular affinity for Glucose biscuits. Though, I shared a particular fancy for freshly baked Marie biscuits with my grandfather, whom we used to call 'Nana'. He used to have Marie biscuits bought loose, from a particular shop on Ranade Road, and could make out from the crispiness whether the biscuits had indeed bought from that particular shop. One day, my mother was surprised to hear me ask the same question "Aaj Mhambre kadun naahi aanli vatta Marie". This was probably the only attribute I shared with my very systematic and disciplined grandfather. Very loving though. I remember him telling me frequently the story of the Monkey and the caps.

The dominant raj of Glucose bicuits in Indian was well over many years ago, when a plethora of more interesting biscuits flooded the market.
It is probably after a gap of 20-25 years that I actually bought a pack of glucose biscuits, or rather packs, and 8 of them... Why? Because I got all of them for a dollar here in California. They were the cheapest and plentifully available biscuits I found in the Indian Stores here.

Later I found many other Indians nourishing their newly discovered or re-discovered fancy for Glucose biscuits, here in America...

Ciao...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Olivera Crossing

Bye Bye California...

Sonrise in Minnesota...