Aajikade jaaun yeto...

A branch from Ranade Road cuts in into Gokhale Road. And right in front of this T Section, is Krishna Kripa. Whether coming back from a brief spell of shopping at Ranade Road (which, along with the Shivaji Park is my favorite part of Central Mumbai), or coming back from the Dadar Railway Station, or station as we call it, 'Aajikade' was where we always had a stopover before heading to our 'extension' abodes. Seeing the silhoutte of Aaji standing by the balcony railing was always comforting sight. I used to wave from across the road. Aaji would strain to see who it was, from her first floor vantage point; and a smile crossed her face inevitably when she realised it was me. She used to respond with a calm, yet happy wave back, and moments later I would be scrambling my way up the stairs of Krishna Kripa. The stairs there make a rickety-rackety noise, thanks to one or two metal plates nailed to each step.

Inside the house, there would be Aatya going about some work. You could always sense the hurry in Aatya's movement about the house. And yes, sometimes, Pingle Maavshi, from the friendly neighborhood, would be also standing in the balcony, chatting animatedly with Aaji. Time used to pass for them steadily in the balcony, coasting along like the people and the traffic on the road below.

Krishna Kripa, for us, meant Aaji's house, and there was always a comfy all-encompassing feeling to be there. Evenings meant everybody congregating at Krishna Kripa. I used to be there everyday infalliably. I also remember somewhere at the corner of my memories, the first day I had walked to Krishna Kripa, alone, from Mayoor, and felt quite triumphant about it, being able to move around alone. I don't remember how young I was though at the time.


Shilpa, Me, Aai-Papa, Suju-Ashwini, Kaka-Kaki, Aaji, Aatya , and Pradnya until before her marriage, and of course Nana until nearly two decades ago. It used to be quite a gathering at Krishna Kripa. There were good times, and there were some bad moments, as is bound to be when so many people are closely linked together. The link being Krishna Kripa. But there was comfort and a sense of security in so many people being together. Spending some time together whether consciously, or otherwise. And, yes, many a times, Aatya served Saanja to everybody who used to come there in the evenings.
Even when I went away for education, and later for the job, I always ended up spending some part of my evenings at Krishna Kripa, whenever I was in Mumbai.

Aaji's house was placed at a vantage point, and we all used to gather to watch the proceedings during Ganpati, and Dussera. The clamor of the celerbations used to be tremendous, and we used to enjoy all festivals to the fullest. All festivals, a visit to Aaji was always in order. "Aajikade jaaun yeuya." .

As the milennium crossed over, the younger generation went away taking up their new-found roles. Me and Shilpa to Bangalore for the jobs, Suju to Sharjah, and Ashwini to Goregaon after marriage. 2, Krishna Kripa now had lesser throughput, and probably routine became less interesting for Aaji and Aatya. Aaji's headaches, with age, started becoming more frequent, and she at times started finding Maavshi's garrulousness a bit troubling.

Aaji did see me fly abroad in 2000, and come back after my short visit. I showed her the photos, which she saw with pride. I returned to Bangalore happy after my first German visit. A day later, on Christmas, Aaji passed away. I was lucky enough to have had quite a few visits to her place during the earlier two months.

Since the past 4 years and more, Aaji's place is locked, except when we go to pay our respects in front of Aaji's and Nana's photographs. It is hardly even a shadow of itself now, as it was in its prime. It is now an emotionally draining event entering Aaji's house. I benumb myself trying to avoid the emotions that come rushing out. The lively memories of the house despairingly clash with its current starkness. I try to calmly move out from there, and come out of Krishna Kripa.
Passing under Krishna Kripa, even now, I look up, for a split second, expecting Aaji to be watching me from above...

Comments

Ritesh Kamath said…
Hey Dude,

Nice little post.. It shows how much u miss the good 'ol times u spent with ur family.Really priceless...
Anonymous said…
I re-live the days whenever I go through your blog spot. Looking forward to more and more postings - Shilpa
Anonymous said…
The way you have described your growing up days in Krishna Kripa is toucing and beautiful. It's only the way of life as it flows...
Keep writing. :)
Anonymous said…
That brings back my memories as well. Thanks for your blog, keep writing more - Ashu

Popular posts from this blog

The Olivera Crossing

Sonrise in Minnesota...

Bye Bye California...