Incorrigibly Happy, and Perennially so...

They were more of them. But only three since I became aware of, and understood my emotional self. So, I write about the three only. But I surely do not intend to be unfair to the 4 others, three of them whom I never got to know.

The three I was fortunate to have the company of, for significant years of my life were Aaji, BaalMama and Vishnumama. Aaji, my paternal Grandmother, and Baalmama and Vishnumama were her brothers.

What is so different about them? Why do I write about them?

They were ordinary persons, like the most of us. What was extraordinary about them,however, was that they remained incorrigibly happy throughout their lives. They never read Dale Carnegie, nor Deepak Chopra. I do not think the decision to remain happy was a conscious one. It was probably a state of mind they were born with.

A point well mentioned is the sibling bonding between them. It is perhaps the joyful and contented attitude which forged this. And the bond remained strong throughout their lifetimes. Come the shift from the royal lifestyle of their childhood in Baroda to the hardships in Mumbai. Or come the grinding routine that dictates the rush through the middle age. Demanding relatives which add up as we proceed in life, requiring a higher amount of liaisioning,understanding, and mollifying,all with an aim to balancing sides. Or the inconveniences that start accompanying you in old age. All were dealt with a firmly happy hand. :-) .
They too must have felt the pain at numerous times. But once they dealt with it, they managed to find a lighter side to the situation and accept it, and at times make light of it. Even when much in old age, when Aaji and Baalmama had become 'acoustically challenged' :-) , there used to be much friendly banter between them. Aaji would say 'Baal, you know what, you are not really short of hearing. You only hear what you want to hear... :-) " . There was no situation, whether serious or light, that was outside the purview of their funny wit. Sometimes, there were outrageously hilarious results. I was told of a story of a marriage ceremony of his niece, in which VishnuMama offerred (probably innocently :-|) many guests 'tapkeer' (snuff, used to induce sneezes), and in a while, there was a sneezing frenzy in the marriage hall, much to the chagrin of the families of the bride and the groom.

Well jokes apart, I am pretty sure all and more of the multi-directional forces that apply to us in life, did apply to them too. But these were probably accepted and dealt with. I guess, If you accept inevitability, then it is easier to deal with it. And since we have to deal with it anyway, why not be happy doing it. Nearly all of us either fail to understand this throughout our lives. And even if we manage to think of it at some point and try to change consciously, our innate emotional make up overshadows it soon.

There, was the difference. They were never short of cheerfulness. They were born with it. The happiness they exuded, was absolutely infectious. The only memories I have of them, when in their company, are joyous ones. In all probability because they were always so very joyous. I never saw them gloomy. They derived so much joy within themselves, and the joy inevitably generously floated around to us. They are Suratkars, it was said, and the Suratkars are always happy.

The last of all, VishnuMama passed away in his sleep, or rather afternoon siesta on 31st Dec 2006. Peacefully; as he always wanted to, without even realising it. Likewise Aaji. So, I say, the three were born happy. That was sheer luck. But distinctively, they died contented. That's probably plain difficult, and hence this tribute of a blogticle.

Aaji, VishnuMama and BaalMama : Thanks to You for letting us know We can be happy inspite of our life, and enriching us by showing us the extent of bonding that can happen within our family.

Comments

ishmi said…
Your writing is always so lucid and enriching. :)
keep going...
Anonymous said…
Thanks ishmi...I am glad you read and appreciated.

I was always afraid of losing my grandma or Aaji as I used to call her. Long after she passed away, as the years go by, I realise more and more how much I valued her company, and how much value she added to our lives. I miss her, and whenever I write of her, the text seems to wring right from my heart. My writing skills however limit what is projected on paper. But I sure do miss her, and her joyous, confident and comforting presence. Even her memories seem to soothe.
ishmi said…
I understand! We all go through the part when we have people around us who we are so used to...even when we might move on another place for study/work. And sometimes, after they pass away, the realisation dawns that they are actually not around....its a very strange feeling...a mixed one..of longing, love, missing, ...a generally soothing one...with a tinge of ache.

But even then you do write so well...very very well actually! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Olivera Crossing

Sonrise in Minnesota...

Bye Bye California...