Self-Help is 'Do It Yourself'... :-) ...

I think I must say this aloud as I am quite happy about it...
I recently carried out some car repairs myself. The left headlamp of my car had fused. And it had to be replaced. So instead of going to the technician to do this, I just bought the lamp from Kragen Auto Parts and changed it myself. Changing the front headlamp is not as straightforward as changing the taillight. However some reading and some dexterity and some common sense helped.

Also, since 120K miles on my car had lapsed, I thought of changing the Air Filter too.
Before I first carried out my relatively minor reparis to my car, I was indeed a bit apprehensive, this being completely uncharted territory for me.
But the headlamp change bolstered my confidence, and I decided to carry out the Air Filter change too myself, as it seemed to be straightforward.

The 'Do it Yourself' web sites like WikiHow.com etc. on the Net proved to be of good help in both cases.

I would never have had to do this in India, and hence probably would never have had an opportunity to try it out. But I did dare to try this out here. And did it.

Good for now. :-) ...

(May be the blogticle 'If Wishes Were Horses...' that I posted in June 2006 had something to trigger my trying these things out.)

Its best left to one's common sense how far you can trust your understanding and dexterity, and risk doing tasks yourself of corresponding complexity only. I think its worth trying it out if, based on your reading, you can visualise completing a task from start to finish.

Good Luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Olivera Crossing

Sonrise in Minnesota...

Bye Bye California...