My Review of Blue Ginger Vythiri on TripAdvisor.

I visited Blue Ginger from 1st to 3rd November 2012, with my wife and 4.5 year old son.

I started from Bangalore at 6 am and reached the Vythiri village at 2 pm with a 1 hour stop in between. I had recieved a call from the resort around 11.00am to check where I was, and was asked to call the resort once I reached the Vythiri village. I called back and in a few minutes a jeep arrived to guide me to the parking area. From the parking area is a 20 min drive uphill to the resort in the resort's jeep. Your car remains parked down the hill.

The drive to resort is a nice starter to the experience. When I alighted from the jeep inside the resort, I was impressed with the view, the scenic natural ambience it exudes. This sets the right tone. I was also given a room upgrade based on availability.

The resort experience is quite good. It has a pair of waterfalls within the estate, which the young and middle aged can access without much issues. Might be difficult for senior citizens.

The views of the streams and the waterfalls and the surrounding mountains, was quite good from the resort. At times, the clouds fleeting by add to the experience.

It had rained and was raining during my stay, so the flow of the water was more - which was good. The rains, I felt, only added to the 'rainforest' experience.

I stayed in a room in the same building where the reception is location, and I was happy with the downhill view that it provided. There are also other options like the cottages. I am sure many would like the cottage with the waterfall view.

There are paths one can explore in and around the resort. Trekking upstream is one such option. It is a bit more adventurous than normal trekking during rains since you have to climb the rocks and handle the water flow. Also, you can attempt a decent amount of birdwatching inside the resort during the mornings. Of course, one can just be there in the nice natural environs and take it easy. One can take the paths available in the resort\around the resort for a small walk. Especially during rains, one has to be aware of leeches in muddy paths. But that can possible be handled if you are aware, with a pinch of salt, or a few drops of dettol which can be carried along.

My son had a good time during the small trek that we undertook, with the help of Naja.

As for the nearby sightseeing options within a 40 km range, there are plenty if you have the time. As per my understanding, all except the trekking come at a price, if you leave it to the resort. You can also do the same on your own, but you will still need to take the jeep to and fro till the parking area and this unfortunately comes only at a price.

Meals are quite ok, and the staff is willing to cater to your requests. During my stay, we had a a-la-carte, and not buffet. The chef, in his late sixties or early seventies, is also jolly good and is interesting to talk to. For those of whom it matters, an official liquor serving licence is yet to be available to the resort.


What can be improved :
They can also propose a sightseeing package, during booking.
The resort can arrange specific morning trips for those interested in birdwatching. Starting at 10.00 am for treks means the main birdwatching time is over.
Also the amneties, game options in the club area should be refurbished. That surely helps those with kids.
The order for the next meal can be taken at all times in the cafeteria itself during the previous meal, instead of having the staff coming down later.
At other times, I am not sure all my phone\individual requests were understood by some of the canteen staff, since a couple of times my request for tea - room delivery was not done.

All this, however, did not come in the way of my overall experience though. Generally all the staff was only too willing to oblige.

Overall Experience : Very Happy with the resort and its naturally bountiful environs, and would definitely recommend family and friends.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Olivera Crossing

Bye Bye California...

Sonrise in Minnesota...